This movie was very interesting and it really gave some insight as to what the view of abortion was in the 1950s in comparison with the views of abortion now. In the movie I found it very interesting that the men in the video had very STRONG views towards the decisions of a woman's body. They believed that it was wrong and unjust and the women who considered that ill or had mental problems, not really thinking about the circumstances the women were actually going through and that they were not ready or prepared to bring a child into this world.
In class we talked about all the recent changes going on in different states concerning birth control and abortion, in today's view I wonder if Vera Drake would still think that she is helping girls concerning all the birth control available now.
I think this is a great movie to watch especially within the context of today's political atmosphere. As seen in Vera Drake, women today are being completely removed or reproductive rights. I am wondering: what does it say about our society when government officials (often male, but women too) want to give more autonomy to an unborn fetus than to a woman or a mother? How do people see women's bodies as a vehicle for wielding political power? How did this function in Vera Drake?
ReplyDelete