Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vera Drake- Leah Short

What I particularly liked about this film was that it made it apparent that the battle for birth control and the rights of women and their bodies has been an ongoing issue for a long time. Although Vera Drake and her experience with abortion was different from the discussion today, it still shows that the right of women to have control over their bodies completely is still something questioned and monitored today.

Abortion is probably one of the most debated and discussed issue I hear about in politics. Vera Drake simplified abortion to being something that women may need because they need help. She didn't view abortions as even being called such, nor did she see abortions as being a moral or political issue as we seem to see it as today.

As a whole I think this film, as much of a downer as it was, shows the reality of the control our society tries to have over women's bodies and that this has been a cyclical tendency which is still apparent today.

2 comments:

  1. Based on your second paragraph, I wonder where Vera first learned to perform abortions and whether or not she truly knows the harsh ramifications of her actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think this movie was a great portrayal of the rights, or lack or rights, women have over their own bodies. Though this is an ongoing debate, Vera didn't consider it abortion rather just giving young women the help that they need. Not only does it show societies control over women's bodies, but also men's control over some women's bodies as seen with Susan's story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.