Monday, April 9, 2012

Psychoanalysis and The Street

I thought this segment of The Street  would be great subject matter for psychoanalysis. The Super's obsession with Lutie has a variety of Freudian aspects. Throughout chapter four, he is consumed by thoughts of Lutie, and much of the descriptions are very sexualized. This is even more illustrated by the fact that the Super is inhuman in many ways (he is very beastly like his dog). His thoughts about Lutie are not humanizing either; he is consistently objectifying her body instead of realizing her individual self. The consciousness of the Super suggests a lot of differences between males and females. For example, the Super's obsession with sex enables him to relate more to his dog than another human (much less, a woman). 

The Super's obsession with Lutie reminded me of Cholly Breedlove's rape of his daughter in Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye (maybe someone has read that?). When the Super is obsessing over "nibbling" on Lutie's leg, I could not help but compare the passage to The Bluest Eye. I don't think Lutie is as vulnerable as a young girl, but I thought that Petry and Morrison illustrated the male obsession with sex and the body in similar ways, both of which are important when examining the book under a psychoanalytic lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.