In this novel thus far, I think Jones is what is keeping me
so intrigued. On Monday we discussed his perverted characteristics and many
expressed their lack of sympathy for him. However, I’ve felt bad for him since
chapter 5 when he talked about his life on a ship. "He used to plan the
detail of his love-making until when the dream became a reality and he was
actually ashore, he went half-mad with a frenzied kind of hunger that drove the
women away from him" (Petry 86). Although I do find him creepy, to an
extent I think his actions are understandable (but not acceptable). He was used
to having any lady he wanted, and had that stripped of him after going mad from
loneliness. Someone who is in a state of mind like Jones isn’t aware of how
they are being perceived. I can understand his attraction to Lutie and his lack
of interest in Min. After all, someone who has to go to a root doctor to keep
their man can’t be in the best state of mind either. Regardless, as I said
early I sympathize for Jones. Although his actions and behaviors are not
acceptable, they are fathomable. I'm very curious to see how Jones' character will progress and intensify towards the end of the novel.
I can see where you're coming from with sympathizing with Jones but I really don't feel bad for him at all. Men have a privilege and a power over women, especially women of color in this time, and Jones is no exception of what a lot of people refer to as chauvinist pigs. He feels he has power over women, and he exerts his privilege of being a man over women through his creepiness, which many men do to this day and never get called out for because people expect men to do this. It's a very naturalistic approach to view Jones in this way I feel, and that it gives less accountability to Jones over his actions.
ReplyDeleteI have also grown to like Jones character at first I thought he was one the biggest creepers but now I am starting to see a side of him I like. I completely agree with his action being understandable I think him being in the Navy had much to do with most of his actions.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think he has not matured properly in the social aspects, but he is not intentionally being a creep.
ReplyDeleteYou know it's hard to put judgement on a single character because of life circumstances. I think that Jone's equates sex with love and companionship. Having had a lonely and solitary existence at a young age he tries to get back that lost time by being with younger women. I cannot label him one way or another yet, but I bet after reading the rest of the novel a clearer picture will be presented.
ReplyDelete