Friday, April 20, 2012

Vera Drake - Parzyck

Throughout the whole movie I kept going back and forth on my feelings of Vera. I did really like her and I believe what she THOUGHT she was doing was good for young girls. The fact that most girls couldn't afford an abortion done by a doctor during that time and Vera doing it for free to help women was a good thing, however I don't think she knew she was doing them a lot of harm and could possibly cause death. I assumed that since there wasn't much education during this time about abortions that Vera had no idea that it could cause harm she didn't think twice about doing the abortion. However, I was very confused by her change in personality from the beginning of the movie compared to the end. At the beginning she was SO sure of herself and prided herself on the fact she was giving abortions for free, but then at the end of the movie she couldn't even defend herself, let alone say anything. I wonder if she finally realized that it was dangerous for her to be giving abortions this way or if she just felt so much remorse for the girl she made ill and the fact that her family was extremely disappointed. Either way I ended up feeling horrible for Vera and I think she did have a very good heart but she just wasn't educated about the dangers of performing an abortion this way.

5 comments:

  1. I also blogged about the fact that I did not like the personality change in Vera throughout the movie. It did not seem to me that Vera was very bothered by her actions at the beginning of the movie. She knew that what she was doing was illegal, but she was happy to help these young girls. But when she was arrested, she did not seem to take any pride in the fact that she thought that she was helping these girls. Instead, she became meek and could barely speak. This attitude did not seem congruent with her personality at the beginning of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    You bring up an interesting point. This personality change is dramatic and started to make me frustrated towards the end of the movie. Towards the end of the movie Vera was so upset and unable to speak in the court room. This is a very dramatic change from her happy humming self in the first half. Vera is confident in herself and truly believes she is helping these young girls. I love your ending sentence Vera does have a good heart but she was not educated on the dangers that could occur from abortions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Vera was indeed opened up to the fact that she was putting so many young girls in danger by doing her procedure the way she was carrying on. She might have possibly felt ashamed after she realized this and that is why she couldn't say anything on the subject matter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not think of how she was speechless by the end of the movie. I am glad that you pointed this interesting fact out because I think she really was taken aback by all of the emotions and consequences she not only put herself but the girls through. The whole movie was very moving and although Vera was doing something so wrong, it was hard not to feel bad for the women who seemed to be a sweet, innocent woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that Vera probably, at first, had no idea that was she was doing was a dangerous thing. I had never really noticed that change in her from the beginning to the end. I had just thought it was because she was scared and facing jail time. Which is true but I hadn't considered that it could have potentially been because she was finally realizing the consequences of taking it upon herself to perform at home abortions.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.