This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Saturday, April 14, 2012
the street part 2-ali pepin
This idea about the meal and how Lutie draws out eating the main course is very interesting. I almost missed it's significance. As we discussed it further however I gained a much deeper understanding of how intricate it really is. I found it interesting because it was basically a metaphor for how Lutie does things by drawing them out and keeping a straight face while doing it. With Boots she was doing this and it was interesting how he was trying to make a move, but she stuck to her guns and made it a point to wait out the main course, not sleep with him or let him take a move and then move on with the meal. Her main plan of attack puts her one ahead of Boots and it's funny to see from an audience position to see who really holds the power. Initially you think Boots is taking advantage of Lutie, however after the comment about the meal, it could be inferred that she was really outplaying him at his own game. This shows just how smart and clever she is. It takes on a whole new level and perspective by how the New Negro Woman has taken control. It's as though her power is quiet and she's takes a sneak attack. She works for the Chandlers quietly, only seeing the life she wants to live, being just beyond the fence so she can never get there. Then when she's out of their presence, it's in her head and mind games that she plays on other people where she gains her power, and in essence may even have more power than those with money.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really liked your interpretation of Lutie taking advantage of Boots. When they first met, I thought that Boots might be the one to take advantage of Lutie or possibly distract her from her goal of leaving 118th street. However, I agree with you that Lutie seems very smart and focused when it comes to Boots. I am excited to read on and see how this relationship develops and if Lutie is able to use Boots to gain a singing career. Lutie’s smarts, independence, and motivation are what make her a great example of a “new negro woman.”
ReplyDelete