This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Vera Drake
I found this movie to be overwhelmingly emotional for me and I'm not sure why. The idea of abortion being illegal to me is crazy and this was a perfect time to watch this movie because of all of the politics right now surrounding planned parenthood and the possibility of making abortion illegal again. I found it so interesting that Vera didn't view it as killing a child but rather "helping" the girls. She viewed it as them just being in trouble. In the film, Reg says something about how if you can't feed a child, how can you love it. I thought that was a different way of viewing it. I had anticipated him being outraged over Vera's actions, like her son was and maybe dumping Ethel but he didn't...he actually approved of what she was doing. I also think that the people who are deciding these rights for women in the film and now, are men. These are people who can't even have a child but still think it's their right to decide when and if a woman has a baby. Realistically, they shouldn't even have a say. Also, Vera gets 2.5 years in prison for her first offense. When she's talking to the other women in jail, it's their second offenses and they only have 6 mos, or a year and a half more than her. She was used solely for the purpose of making a point and being used a deterrent for future women to help get rid of unwanted pregnancies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also used Reg's quote in my post. I thought it was really important even while trying to understand Lutie's actions in "The Street".
ReplyDelete