Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"The Street"

Upon reading the beginning of The Street, I found the following passage from chapter one describing Lutie's thoughts about the super quite intriguing:
"And his name was William Jones. A perfectly ordinary name. A highly suitable name for a superintendent. Nice and normal. Easy to remember. Easy to spell. Only the name didn't fit him. For he was obviously unusual, extraordinary, abnormal. Everything about him was the exact opposite of his name" (Petry 25).
 This passage depicts her discomfort very well. She tries to convince herself that this man is not dangerous (despite the fact that she was uncomfortable being around him throughout the scene), with the first five sentences, but then she confronts her fear by thinking about how uncomfortable he makes her feel. The only thing that I could think as I read this is that the author is trying to foreshadow something creepy about him since she spends so much time on his exposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.