This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Saturday, April 14, 2012
The Street
One of the things that really stuck with me was the dream Lutie had about the Super. I believe that this truly demonstrates this animalistic theme that we have been noticing throughout the book. When the dog bites into Lutie's arm, I believe that it is demonstrating his animal-like hunger for her. He is so overcome with his desire for her that he literally has to eat her up. The image that Lutie paints of the Super when he morphs with his dog is very haunting. However, I believe that the author did it as a way to foreshadow the incident between the Super and Lutie when Lutie arrives home from the casino. All while the super was dragging Lutie towards the basement, I was imagining him as the dog Lutie described in her dream. Because of this, the scene was incredibly disturbing to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.