Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Street

After class on Monday, and while i was reading the rest of the book, I kept thinking about Jones.  Originally, I thought of him as a HUGE creep. I had no sympathy for him.  But after our discussion I started to think more about his motivations.  He's been a lonely guy, living in solitary confinement (almost) in the bowels of buildings and he doesn't really have any social skills.  Mrs. Hedges makes a comment that he was kept alone for too long.  Of course, this doesn't completely write off that he becomes obsessed with Lutie and is described in animalistic terms but it's not entirely fair to judge him without thinking of his past and motivations.  He's trying to forge a meaningful human relationship, something that is a basic human want and need.  He just goes about it in the wrong way.  This is shown by his blatant disregard for Lutie's wishes for an entirely white apartment.  He thinks she will appreciate his effort.  When she ignores his advances, he moves on to her son.  It could be said that Jones is manipulating him, but think about other motivations.  Maybe he thinks that by "befriending" Lutie's boy, he'll show her that he's a good guy.  Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the same page as you. After the first couple chapters I found myself having more sympathy for Jones, and grew to feel bad for him rather than disgusted by him. I haven't thought too much about "befriending" him but it makes sense. I think in a lot of cases it's hard to separate love and obsession, just like it's difficult to distinguish love and lust. I think this is important to understand the possibility of it being more than just an obsession when analyzing Jones' character.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.