Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vera Drake- Emily Armstrong

I agree that the film left us with many different questions to consider. I personally also saw the movie as a very emotional and sympathetic experience. I felt Vera's anguish as she was torn from her dear family for something that she felt was wholly just. I saw her as a caring figure; helping young women get through a trying situation that they were in no way prepared to undertake. Considering the time period and the lack of voice that these women were given Vera’s performing these abortions was her way to take control and make a difference. Yet on that note I was also disappointed that no women really took the opportunity, Vera included, to speak up in court to explain their mistreatment and justify Vera's actions. Yes Vera could help girls in secrecy, but when it came time to defend women in the public eye she did nothing and took no initiative. For that reason I did not see this movie as being empowering, but more so of how little power women were given in the 1950s and how they seemed to feel there was no way to change this view.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really think about how she held herself up in the public eye but reading your post stood out to me. Although I understand why it was difficult to make a stance in the public eye, I guess if you're willing to make a stance behind closed door you have to be willing to stand up to your consequences. And the public eye is where your voice would be heard, not in a basement.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.