This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
The New Woman
Before this class I have never heard of the term "The New Woman". This class has helped me realize how far women have come throughout the last hundred years. I was aware of some of the themes that we discussed; however, I enjoyed further learning about them through the readings throughout the semester. It seems as if we have come a long way since the 1900's but there are still some rights that we are fighting for today.Women have fought throughout the past hundred years for equal rights pay and rights to abort or take birth control to control when they have children. These issues are now coming up again and women are having to fight for their rights all over again. This astounds me because it seems as if men are becoming even more superior to women. Men are able to choose whether or not they want to stay with their children and there aren't any consequences besides paying child support; however women are then looked down upon because they just want to take money from their children's father. I am hoping that eventually women will become equal to men because as far as I am concerned we can earn an education and maintain a career so I do not really see much of a difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amanda, I agree, I was not familiar with the "New Woman" ideology before learning about it in this class. At first, I was not sure how much I would be able to relate to it, but like you say, I too liked the readings we did about New Women this semester. I think, just as you said, that juxtaposing what we have learned in this class does significantly help us in looking at what's going on today, although, I disagree with your outlook on gender differences today. I would not say that "men are becoming even more superior to women." I think that there are places where and issues on which that may be true, but I think it is a harsh generalization. Maybe I am being too optimistic. I do, however, agree with you that women should be able to be equal to men. It just might be another rough battle that we will have to fight.
ReplyDelete