"The Bunner Sisters" is an intriguing novel that has not only kept me in utter suspense throughout its entirety, but also has spurred me toward reading it again after the semester, as I found it THAT great! On a more serious note, I found that Evelina's inability to write to her sister resembles many of the ascetic actions of women of this time, as found in our literature. It appears that with Evelina's maturity, after marrying the horrible Ramy, is much like that of Ann Eliza'a, introverted and alone. Evelina keeps her feelings, hurt, and anguish to herself as she goes through the most trialing time of her life, and further keeps the secret of her religious conversion from Ann Eliza far after. Something notable in this regard is the fact that where Evelina was so flamboyant to display her feelings prior to her marriage, it was much easier for her to hide her hurt once she was in a situation that seemed all but escapable.
Moreover, I felt as though Ann Eliza's conquest to win back her sister from Ramy was much like that of a mother who goes in search of her runaway, rebellious daughter. A mother never stops trying no matter the cost. It could be argued that Ann Eliza did give up, but she also worked with every resource she had within her power to find Evelina and bring her home. Ann Eliza has a "Mama's Heart", which is constantly exuded throughout this piece of writing.
I really like how you compared Evelina as being a rebellious daughter and that Ann Eliza would do anything to get her back. I fell that this personality trait of taking initiative and doing whatever it takes to get something back that has so much meaning, shows qualities of a New Woman. Not being afraid and determination is something that Ann Eliza has and is admirable.
ReplyDeleteChelsea, I agree. I think that what you mention about Ann Eliza is what makes the readers side with her and want her to succeed in the end.
ReplyDelete