This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Bunner Sisters Pt. I
"It struck her as dull, and even slightly absurd, of Evelina not to know at last that the were equals." (Wharton, 33) This passage sums up my accusation that Ann Eliza, although she loved Evelina, was extremely jealous of her through out the passage. She constantly remarked on her beauty or talent, but also made her flaws known in order to make herself feel better. I felt very sympathetic for Ann Eliza because she clearly had feelings for Mr. Ramy, but was too respectful of her sister to tell her. This leads me to something else that really caused me angst while reading. Why didn't Ann Eliza just tell Evelina? It just reminds me of when you read a book or watch a movie and you want to scream out "JUST TELL THEM!" The lack of communication made me so mad. I know that the plot cannot progress if everyone is out in the open, but in real life people talk and tell each other how they feel. This could have saved a lot of heart break on all three sides.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too also questioned this, I also feel that if Ann Eliza liked Ramy she should of spoke up, I don't think Evelina did it on purpose, she is not a mind reader! I think eventually Ann might tell her and by then things will to late and the drama might build up more.
ReplyDeleteI agree. It frustrated me so much that she just wouldn't tell her sister of her feelings. I realize that there would be no story, but come on, it's your sister. I also was getting annoyed by the way she was backhandedly talking nicely about Evelina...there's nothing worse than someone complimenting your success but then pointing out your flaw in the next breath.
ReplyDeleteAfter continuing the "Bunner Sisters," I could not believe that Ann Eliza denied Mr. Ramy's marriage proposal after being so jealous of her sister. I do not think she ever expected him to ask, after Mr. Ramy gave so much attention to Evelina, but I do not understand why she said no.
ReplyDelete