This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, February 27, 2012
The Bunner Sisters
Throughout the second part of the novel, I really found myself questioning several of the character's intentions. For starters, what was the significance of Ann Eliza's response to Mr. Ramy's proposal. At the beginning of "The Bunner Sisters", I truly thought Ann Eliza had her sisters well being placed first no matter what. However, from this selection I am not sure. The quote "She was glad of this; yet there was a touch of humiliation in finding that the portentous secret in her bosom did not visibly shine forth. It struck her as dull, and even slightly absurd, of Evelina not to know at last they were equals (page 317). In my first blog I discussed how Ann Eliza was reserved, decided she was not to marry, and supported her sister. However, I now believe she just wanted what her sister was able to have that she saw impossible for herself. When she was given the opportunity, she wasn't entirely flattered. Instead her reaction is troubling. She says sincere remarks to Mr. Ramy, yet she does not share her pain of saying no. I am still not entirely sure of Ann Eliza's intentions for certain, but I do know I see her differently that I did in Part 1. Another person's behavior I find confusing is Mr. Ramy. Ann Eliza was worried to confront him after the proposal and uneasy conversation. However, "outwardly he made no sign" (page 319). He quickly moves on to Evelina, and its hard to determine if this is because of Ann Eliza's advice or his desperate need for a companion. It is constantly stated that Ann Eliza is embarrassed. Is she embarrassed of her jealousy for her sister, her true lack of feelings for Mr. Ramy, the fact he proposed in general? I look forward to depicting Ann Eliza's character even more as she is a dynamic, interesting individual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that Ann Eliza was not only embarassed of the proposal herself, but also shocked at such an unexpected question. I believe that Ann Eliza long ago settled her fate within her mind, and anything other than her idea is not allowed.
ReplyDelete