Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mrs. Todd A New Woman

I think Mrs. Todd is a very fascinating character. Her husband has died and she lives alone running her herbal remedy business out of her house. She is very well know not only in Dunnet, but farther inland as well. While she was married, I see her as an example of the new woman. She doesn't mention any children of her own although she is in her 60s and she is very independent is her daily life and fiscal matters. I wonder if she did not become this "new woman" until later in life. She mentions that she was in love with another man when she was younger and I feel like society dictated her choices then, but no longer does. She also speaks about feeling the older of herself and her mother which I found interesting. Perhaps she learned her since of independence from her mother. I feel like Mrs. Todd has a lot of secrets and stories in her past that she tries to cover up that I hope will be exposed in the second half. Overall she is a very interesting and mysterious character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.