This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, February 6, 2012
A New England Nun -Kate Ferraro
Louisa Ellis definitely represents the "new woman"in A New England Nun because of her found freedom. The independent lifestyle she made for herself directly relates to the concept of the new woman we have been discussing in class. Although she was alone after the death of her mother and brother, and left without Joe for fourteen years, Louisa was not lonely. She has used her time alone to grow and find herself, making her content with her organized lifestyle. I thought it was especially important when she gave up her marriage with Joe because she was maintaining the lifestyle she is happy with. She does not need a man in her life, and felt a disturbance to her daily routine when Joe was around. In the end, she discovered that her independence defined her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree that she was a "new woman." I wonder, though, if in the era women would view her as a new woman. She did keep to herself and had independence and got to do things her way, but she didn't have a lover or someone to share her life with, which is what the new woman eventually had (right?). I definitely think she is a new woman, but I wonder how others would have perceived her to be in this time.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your idea which she was a new women. Simply because she was able to find independence which is what most new women have as oppose to women of a different time. I liked that she did not rely on a man to help make this happen she did all of it on her own. This showed a great example of what a new women is
ReplyDelete