Saturday, February 18, 2012

The White Night

In this strange, empty town King, Ella, and the narrator, Charlotte Mew, had experienced the taking of a woman's life. It was clear by the end of the story that women were not accepted for whatever reason in that town. They were told themselves that they should leave, most likely for that reason. I did not find it clear as to why the woman had to die, did anyone catch the reasoning?
The significance of the title, The White Night, represents their experience as a whole. Involving the white that covered the woman's body except for her face, and night because they were stuck inside the building at night. Is there significance in the fact that there seemed to be more than one religion involved in the "ceremony"? The description included monks, priests, a church, etc. which entails more than a single religion.

4 comments:

  1. You bring up an interesting point about the significance of the title "The White Night". I definitely see the white covering her body and the white lights in the sky however, I thought of the title as the woman's journey into the white lights of heaven. The woman could have been struggling through life and being buried alive could have been a relief for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some of the same questions as you throughout the story. I did not quite understand why the woman had to die. I found it very ironic that it was the religious rulers of the town that conducted the killing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I found it interesting that this story involved religious rulers committing such a horrific act against a woman. It seems like these men similar to most of the men we have read about treat women as property, rather than with respect. The significance of white light, I feel resembles the light you would see as you die and go to heaven. This white light could resemble the life the woman will have in heaven- a better life than she had on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you bring up a important point as to how the white covers had some meaning to do with the title of the story. However just like you were I was completely confused as to why did they kill the women I did not believe they had any reason to kill her.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.