Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lutie's Final Decision

I am extremely upset with the end of this novel!!!! I did not see this coming at all. I had really high hopes for Lutie because she had worked so hard to be the best mother that she could be to her son. I realize that she had always wanted a better life for him and a better life for herself. On the one hand, I see how abandoning Bub could be good for him. It might give him the chance to get away from the streets and have a mother who would always be there for him instead of Lutie who had to work all the time. However, I was extremely mad because the ending ruined the book for me. Lutie was my favorite character in the the book and I was always rooting for her. I never imagined that she would leave her son. Especially all the realizations she came to at the end of the book. For example how she finally realized why Bub never wanted her to leave at night, and why he was working on the street. He adored his mother dearly and just wanted to make her proud of him! Instead she abandons him! BOO!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, tragic ending insinuating that the tragic cycle of "The Street" is going to continue. The author wants us to see that there isn't a happy ending to every story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.