This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
The New Negro Women
This theme of women and uplift has occurred within all of my classes this semester and, although rarely discussed, race played a very significant role. Even though in the beginning suffrage was not gained white women held more privileges than their black counterparts. While the "New Negro Women" was concerned with her rights and gaining more respect as a women she also had to deal with the set backs of her entire race. The white women had the privilege to fight for her own rights while the black women was still trying to gain basic rights for her family. Also, white men who supported white women had political agency, while the black man was still receiving political oppression even after gaining the "right to vote."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that you bring up a valid point about the black men not being able to support the women because of the oppression, and it was very remarkable to see black women wanting making a name for themselves not just for standing up for womanhood but also for their race!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the both of you it was very interesting to see black men was able to vote but because of oppression there were still some things which made them not able to accomplish.
ReplyDeleteChelsea, I am so glad you bring this point up. I am currently in a diversity class and we talk about how can individuals defend themselves as a woman, when they are still being discriminated for their race. This really goes for same sex couples or preferences as well. How is it that woman are supportive of one another and woman rights, yet still discriminate against the other, such as the black or gay female.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, that is a really great comment. I heard somewhere, if one group is oppressed, all groups are oppressed.
ReplyDeleteChelsea, you bring up a really good topic of discussion. Black women were fighting for the right to be human, to have their existence recognized, whereas white women were fighting for privileges denied them. It's an interesting contrast that I think gets overlooked a lot.
Since I am an Education Major the majority of my classes revolve around this diversity issue as well. It is such a touchy topic, but I feel as though it is becoming a more widespread topic to discuss. I'm glad we have this class to discuss our questions and concerns about diversity how it was then and now.
ReplyDelete