This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
The Street- Chelsea Estes
In most novels that we have read throughout the semester, there always seems to be a male character that has a significant influence on the woman. For example, Edna had Robert and Alcee, Clarissa had Peter, and now we see Lutie's interactions with the creepy superintendent. I found it interesting how he decided to become "friends" with Bub in hopes to become closer to Lutie. However, I cannot help but wonder what will come to be with this situation. A quote on page 89, startled me and the intentions the Superintendent has. "Don't scare the kid. You'll scare off the mother if you do and she's what you want- what you gotta have." With further reading, I am sure we will find out what his true motives are with Lutie and whether her character and motives will be tested and challenged to not only protect herself but her son as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I noticed the same this about the male characters that have such strong influence on women, in fact, my paper is on this topic. Jones reminds me a lot of Ramy in Bunner Sisters because they both have mysterious (and creepy) motives. The fact that he befriended Bub sends up some major red flags and I'm curious if he has caught on to the superintendents weird ways. I guess we'll have to see what happens with his character!
ReplyDelete