Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Street

In class last Wednesday we discussed some of the differences between the New Woman and the New Negro Woman and in what ways Lutie can fall into each category.  What I think of as a issue concerning primarily African American women is sexuality, specially over sexualizing black women.  We see Lutie constantly being called a prostitute by white women around her.  These women also give warnings that Lutie will try and steal or sleep with white women's husbands.  The extreme lust detailed by the Supe' further shows this oversexualization of black women.  Where white women were fighting for sexual freedom and sexual expression, women of color were asking to be thought of in a less sexual light and taken more seriously.  It is an interesting contrast between the two movements that seems to pop up quite a bit in The Street.  

1 comment:

  1. I just realized my comment never showed up, but it basically said that I thought you made a really great observation. I had never before considered the huge contrast between the sexualization of white women and black women. While white women were fighting to become more sexualized, black women were fighting to be seen as more than just an object.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.