Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Country of the Pointed Firs - Me Young Hong part I

I think the title of the first chapter, "The Return," seems very interesting. The narrator introuduces a place where readers would not know but the narrator knows well. Also, unlike other chapters, this chapter is in third person point of view, whereas other chapters are in first person point of view. It seems like the narrator draws readers' attention to specific person, the narrator or "I." I imagined that every passenger who arrived in this place has story, then, one of the passengers narrates and tries to view the place and people in the place in his/her point of view. That is why the narrator starts from third person point view and then, changes into first person point of view. I also liked the part where she talks about love at first sight - "the process of falling in love at first sight is as final as it is swift in such as case, but the growth of true friendship may be lifelong affair." (p. 1, Jewett) It sounds like she fell in love with the place at first sight but as she visits several times, her friendship with the place grew and she wants to visit and stay in this place for a long time. This quote shows how much she loves and values this place.

1 comment:

  1. I find it very odd that they describe the narrator as a lover of this place, and that she has been there before on a yachting cruise but never does she reflect on that trip during our story. It is as if for her the only time that exists is now. It is especially odd because the third person narrative in the first chapter is the only spot to mention she had been there before, otherwise I would have assumed this was her first encounter with the Dunnet Landing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.