This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Mrs. Todd in The Country of the Pointed Firs
When I first started reading The Country of the Pointed Firs, the character of Mrs. Todd stood out to me. After hearing her description, I assumed that she would be the character who embodied the “new woman” throughout the story. The fact that she is a working woman who supports herself is what made her stand out in society in those times. I also noticed that her appearance was described as tall and large. This description does completely match with the slender “new woman” described in The Gibson Girl, but I do not think that outward appearance is most central feature of a more modern, independent woman. Mrs. Todd seems to be alone often. She has no mentioned children and never remarried after her husband died. However, I wonder how Mrs. Todd would have turned out if her husband had never been killed. She might not have had the chance to become independent as be seen as a “new woman” in those times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.