This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
The Country of the Pointed Firs
Reading this week's selection of "The Country of the Pointed Firs," was nothing but confusing for me. So far I do not see the point of this story. I felt very lost in the beginning which may be the reason why I am having a difficult time keep up with the events in the latter parts of the book. I feel as though I am trapped in this book like the narrator in the story of the "Yellow Wallpaper." The lack of action in this book makes me wonder what the purpose is? I do find similarities from the narrator in the "Yellow Wallpaper" and the narrator in this story with the desire to write. Both seem to do it in secret or just alone. I do not despise this book but I do not particularly enjoy it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely see what you mean. I found myself turning pages thinking, "maybe something will happen....now?". It is difficult to be engaged with every word on the page when you aren't sure what is happening or what the purpose may be. Yet, I feel as though this is how life in certain times - not necessarily full of huge events, but little encounters and discussions that shape our ways of thinking and seeing the world. Hopefully we can draw meaning out of the vignettes of this book upon more thorough analysis.
ReplyDeleteI am on the same page as you and have found this reading difficult to get through because there seems to be no huge event taking place. Like Jaclyn said I think maybe there being no huge events taking place kind of mirrors what a woman's life is like at this time, very quiet. It seems as thought the character is just going through life, doing the usual. I am hoping that something will happen towards the end of the novel or least shed some light on why this book seems to have no major point.
ReplyDelete