This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, January 16, 2012
The Awakening- Alison Alessi
This is my second reading of this story and what I noticed now more than ever is Edna's relationship with her husband. Mr. Pontellier is described almost as the perfect husband. He is kind, generous, loves his kids and his wife, has a good job and sends his wife chocolates and bon-bons while he is away. However, he changes in how he acts towards his wife once her "awakening" has occurred. It is amazing how quickly he jumps on her when she does the slightest thing that might suggest household negligence. Edna was wondering why he made such a big fuss over calling cards on Tuesdays and so was I. He is a man that is lenient and generous when things are done the way he likes them done. But when things don't get done to his satisfaction, he turns into a nit-picking, chastising bully. Chopin could be using him as an example of why perfect husbands are so perfect. It is very easy to be kind and all that when you get everything you ask for and don't ever come up against any opposition. Through his interactions with his wife after she neglects her household chores, the reader can see that Mr. Pontellier is not the perfect husband he appears to be. That even the most generous and kind seeming man, turns into a domineering bully when opposed. This is enforced all around Edna. Husbands are supposed to be like Mr. Pontellier, and her job as his wife is to appease him. He expects it, all their friends expect it, but she just can't do it anymore. Reminds me of Ibsen's A Doll's House. In that text, the wife experiences that same domestic situation as Edna. Her husband is only good and kind when he gets exactly what he wants. She later finds out that her husband doesn't care about her so much as she thought. In both texts, the wife seems to be an extension of a man's wealth. In The Awakening, Mr. Pontellier likes to go around his house and just look at all that fancy things he has. His wife is nothing more than an extension of that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too was quite interested in the relationship between husband and wife here. I completely agree with you regarding the way he is painted as "perfect". I was actually surprised when I started reading and read his description, I guess I was waiting for some tragic flaw! Yet, the second things aren't the ordinary, or Edna acts slightly strange, he is irate and doesn't know how to deal with her or his life. You are right that it's easy to be a perfect husband when your wife is acting just as she is supposed to according to society. I suppose I haven't read the rest of the book, so maybe he won't turn out to be so bad. Overall I don't find him terrible, I think he is just the epitome of the patriarchal society domineering over the submissive woman.
ReplyDelete