Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"The Awakening" -Part 1


“At a very early period she had apprehended instinctively the dual life—that outward existence which conforms, the inward life which questions.” I noticed this line immediately because I felt it showed the main character for what she really was. Because of her surroundings, she was forced to live a “dual life” or a more mediocre and appropriate life for a woman. But when she discusses her childhood, she expressed gravitating towards girl friends on the intellectual and artistic side. I took that as a sign that on the inside she was as well. Her life with her husband, her life with her children was all a façade. Really, she was someone else carefully hidden, “instinctually”. I can relate to this a lot because I feel like I have so many versions of myself reserved for so many different situations, and I know how fracturing your personality or hiding your truth can be. It seems possible at first, but eventually I think it tares you apart whether you know it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.