This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, January 16, 2012
The Awakening
While reading The Awakening I noticed that Chopin was very descriptive in her writing. She describes nature, and characteristics of people in great detail. One of the interesting things I found in this book are the descriptions of the women. I felt that many of the main women mentioned thus far in the book were all quite opposite to one another. For example Edna, and Adele. Chopin talks about how Edna is so unhappy in her marriage. She does not want to take on the normal responsibilities of a mother and a wife. She finds it relaxing and she appears to be in her own element when she is away from her family. She does not like to care for her children, or stay at home on Tuesday, like normal women are supposed to. On the other hand, Adele is the complete opposite. She appears to be the ideal woman of this era. She adores her husband and children. Adele takes great pride in her duties as a wife and as a mother. I find it interesting how Chopin also gives explanations of this silent women in black, Mariequita who tries to gain the attraction of more than one man, Mademoiselle Reisz who unlike most of the characters does not appear to be married or have any children, and who has skills such as playing the piano, etc. The women in this story are describe in great detail and it gives me this idea of the different transitioning phases of this "New Woman."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lauren, I think everything that you mentioned was very thoughtful and true. I can admit that I noticed the same characteristics of Enda throughout the story, and questioned why she does not what to take the common role of a wife and mother. I think that Edna secretly wants to be like Adele, who has that good relationship with her husband and children, but I think that Edna is trapped in a life she did not want. She would much rather be a "New Woman" and be independent and focus on herself and enjoy being alone, just like Mademosielle Reisz. Perhaps that is why those two got along so well? I like how you said at the end of your post that Edna could be in the transitioning phase of becoming a "New Woman," because I think that is exactly what she is searching for.
ReplyDeleteThis post caught my eye because it was exactly what I was thinking while reading, that Chopin goes into great detail about the women characters in this book. I think you make a good point, Chelsea, in the fact that Edna may be yearning for Mademoiselle Reisz's life. Edna seems to be caught in the wrong life, one that she does not like. I find Edna to be a prime example of a woman in the era wanting to be a "new woman" but cannot because she feels obligated to stick to the traditional womanly role that includes caring for the children, loving the husband unconditionally, and tending to the housework. I enjoyed this post by Lauren and Chelsea's comment because it captures my thoughts exactly as I was reading.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your post everything which you were saying is exactly how I was feeling about the reading especially Edna. Chopin is very descriptive in her writing and she gives great details. Edna is very unhappy in her marriage which causes for her to have many problems within herself. I agree with your idea which Edna is trying to become a "new women".
ReplyDelete