Sunday, January 15, 2012

THE YELLOW WALLPAPER-Naja Tatum

Upon first reading this passage,  I begin  to think, "How crazy is this woman?" But once I began to think about what era this took place and once we had further discussion the passage in class, I begin to see "The Yellow Wallpaper in a new light. The women in this era weren't given much credit in regards to thinking for themselves or expressing themselves. The woman's husband disregarded her remarks about things she was feeling or thinking and constantly blamed her illness.The part that stood out to me the most was when the woman ripped the wallpaper off the wall, to free the female image she saw in the wallpaper. This part to represents the woman finally standing up for herself and in a way freeing herself from the controlling world she is apart of. The fact that she is having a dialogue with herself through her writing shows that a woman is capable of taking control of her own thoughts and emotions.This portrays the new woman that we were discussing in class. Although I am sure that there really wasn't women living in the wallpaper, this short story encompasses the female psyche through its graphic detail of a woman dealing with her emotions and dealing with the people in her lives who feel that she is incapable of doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.