Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three Dreams in a Desert--Kori Cramer

After reading through the short story of "Three Dreams in a Desert", I found that I was taken back by the second dream. While annotating as best as possible throughout, I was distraught as I came upon words such as freedom, truth, and reason, all capitalized. After some thinking, I believe that these words deal explicitly with Biblical terms and concepts. Reason stands to be the devil; always seeking to find a reasoning in every situation, even when it is not necessary. Freedom is Jesus, knowing that he is the redeemer of the sins of all people. Truth is represented as God, being the Bible, which is the Word of God. Lastly, Land of Freedom is heaven, as mentioned within the story, but offers the notion of heaven on earth, as God intended and wrote about in the Word. The most liberating piece was when Reason bit Truth, the blood flowed onto the ground. From there, Truth's hair turned white, symbolizing the redemption of sins. I found all of these ideas to be both engaging, interesting, and a unique and unexpected twist in the plot of the writing. After writing this down, I realize how much of this that I am assuming, but nonetheless, I believe this is the intrinsic meaning of the passage.

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting; I just read the story and didn't even really think too much about relating it to Biblical concepts. Especially about her hair turning white when she puts the babything down- I liked your interpretation of it as the redemption of sins. I wasn't sure what to make of that part, I kind of just saw it as woman maturing into someone wiser consciousness who knows better than to allow others to keep away her rights on account that she is a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting way to look at the piece. I just assumed it was a general piece of writing about the struggles of women. But I really like and appreciate the way you interpreted the reading and I think it kind of goes hand in hand with the discussion we had in class about Eve (even though that was directed more towards Edna). Would this woman then represent Eve? Although, I have to say I don't believe this was the interpretation Schreiner was anticipating her readers would get, I think it's a great way to look at it. I reread the passage after reading what you wrote and saw the connections more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not think of meanings of the three capitalized words well. However, it was really good ideas how you described the words. I read again the parts where the capitalized words come out, I think they symbolize things that you discussed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.