When reading The Awakening, Chopin does not show Edna in a normal way which women are shown in my opinion. Edna was not the typical women during this time although she did some things which most women during this time did, she was still yet different. The idea which Edan was not happy in her marriage is shown a lot. Edna evens goes as far as starting to have another relationship with another man. This is an example of when I say Edna did things which were not so commonly seen during this time. Women are thought to be married and happy but yet Edna wanted to experience different things. One of the main reasons I believe Edna may not be so happy in her marriage would be because she was also searching for herself, Edan is really trying to find out who she is as a person which is something I believe most women have problems within trying to find there selves and they don't really know who they are as a person.
I found this to be very interesting as well and I did not think of it the way you described it. I like that you think of Edna being unhappy in her marriage due to the fact that she is searching for herself and trying to find out who she is as a person. I think that that could explain why Edna is lashing out and rebelling against her duties as wife and mother. I compared her a lot to Adele's character who appears to be the perfect wife and mother. She seems to be the ideal woman of this era. I think that she is probably brainwashed with this whole idea of the "perfect" woman and is just performing the way society has taught her to. I am curious to see how Adele's character will react to Edna if she ever does truly "find herself."
ReplyDelete