Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Three Dreams In A Desert - Me Young Hong

Honestly, I did not understand what the author tries to talk about; however, after I listened to classmates' discussion in class, I was able to understand what the story, "Three Dreams In A Desert," was about. It was interesting how the author illustrated sexism and discrimination. One of the most interesting parts that I choose is the part where she asks some questions about the way to the Land of Freedom. She asks that "Is there no bridge?', "Is the water deep?", "Is the floor worn?" and "Have any crossed already?" (p. 312, Schreiner). The way to the Land of Freedom has no bridge that she has to cross deep water and "she [you] may slip at any time and she [you] may be lost." (p. 312, Schreiner) Also, some people have only tried to cross the water but it seems that no one have reached the land yet. This part symbolizes how difficult it was to achieve freedom for women. Women had to try their best and experiences problems to achieve their freedom. Also, the story shows that women cannot achieve their freedom without abandoning their responsibilities as wives or mothers. The story seems very interesting since the author tries to show sexism and women who want their freedom by three dreams that someone had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.