This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Friday, January 13, 2012
The Yellow Wallpaper - Meghan Patterson
Honestly after reading "The Yellow Wallpaper" I felt a bit dizzy. On the surface the story just seemed to go around and around and around. What really struck me was how quickly she fell from being some what rational to seeing the wallpaper as her sole driving force in life. I felt like she was trying to listen to her husband and get better and then, BAM her life revolves around the wallpaper. At that point she mentions that the wallpaper is the reason she is feeling better, or at least appearing to, and it adds excitement to her day. I can see how the woman in the wallpaper could very well be her and the parallels to the new woman, but she is also experiencing this in a decent into insanity. It seems as if by the end she has let herself go to her own fantasies. I feel like to some degree how she is depicted is contradicting. While she is thinking for herself for the first time and breaking free, this act is also portrayed as insanity. It makes me wonder what the authors views really were.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.