This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
The yellow Wallpaper
The "Yellow Wallpaper" is an interesting story to analyze as the wallpaper she describes does not actually have people in it, it is not moving, nor does it come alive at night. I think that her insanity, driven by the wallpaper is best described in this passage, "All those strangled heads and bulbous eyes and waddling fungus growths just shriek with derision!"She is hallucinating these awful vivid imageries that are haunting her and throwing her into a deeper depression and mental sickness, yet she cannot do anything about it, and soon she seems to relish in these mind games, and does not want to leave the room or go outside, yet she continues to tear away at the paper bit by bit. The end of the story is a bit confusing to me, does the women make a noose whe she ties herself? Does this passage describe her hanging herself? "I've got out at last," said I, "in spite of you and Jane. And I've pulled off most of the paper, so you can't put me back! Now why should that man have fainted? But he did, and right across my path by the wall, so that I had to creep over him every time!"???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.