Sunday, January 22, 2012

"The Awakening" Part II


In part two of “The Awakening”, there very beginning contains a conversation between Edna and Ms. Reisz. Edna goes to visit her Reisz at her house, and for some reason they begin their meeting with this interestingly improper conversation. Ms. Reisz outright says that she doesn’t think Edna likes her and Edna Replies, “I don’t know if I like you or not” (67). I love this part because I feel like this level of honesty rarely exists even today so to see Edna say such a crude and honest thing was shocking for me. The reaction she got was also shocking. It seemed Reisz respected her more for it, drawing on the artist in both of them, their like mindedness for seeing things as they are. I thought this small scene said a lot about both characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.