This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
The Awakening part I - Me Young Hong
The most impression in the first reading of The Awakening I had was the part where Mr. Pontellier tells Edna that their son has fever. However, Edna tends not to take care of him well since she believes that her son is not really sick. This part may show that she does not have responsibility on her son, however, I also thought that the man, Mr. Pontellier, could have taken care of his son instead of telling his wife. Both parents should take care of their child equally but, at that time, woman had more responsibility on her child since she is the “mother.” This part shows that “mother-work” and “father-work’ were divided clearly and I was able to imagine how the mother takes care of her child while the father smokes outside. I could also see the inequality house work between parents at that time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel like Chopin almost wants us to see her neglectfulness as a protest or something. I feel like that is such a powerful way to protest, very unsettling. I have a hard time understanding anyone being indifferent towards their child, but it's almost like, thats part of the complexity of Edna's character.
ReplyDelete