This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
When I read Three Dreams in a Desert, I was kind of confused at first but then, I read it again and had a better grasp of it. I had the most understanding of the first dream and made me think most of the idea of a new woman and the concept of a revolution for womanhood. In the desert, the dreamer comes upon a woman lying in the sand, apparently unable to move. But as she talks to a man beside she learns that it is because of man; his oppression of her and his load he forces upon her back. At the end of the dream however, the woman starts to move and rises to her knees. While she is not standing still, she is higher than she was before and is making moves to change her situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with Molly and the idea of the story capturing the idea of a women's revolution. I agree also with her point of oppression and how man is holding her back, but that only wants to make her stronger and rise. It's as though if she didn't have men to push her to rise then she would have no reason to. In observing this in comparison to the new women, then I ask, if men weren't around then would we have a phase of the new woman or would we already be at that point of women doing everything-all jobs, having kids, etc. Do we really need the men to give us an extra push?
ReplyDelete