Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Awakening and The New Woman

This book i very intriguing. It captures the moments of the "new woman" coming into the new woman. There is so many hidden messages and dialogue that the protagonist, Edna reveals in the novel about her thoughts of coming into knowing herself and her realization of her unhappiness. On page 14, Edna realizes that she was now
"becoming aware of her position in the universe." She was noticing that she doesn't have those "mother-women" characteristics. She was not passionate about her husband, marriage, or even her children. This was a very foreign concept to women in her era, so her husband sometimes questioned her. Another thing I found interesting in the novel is her infatuation and lust for other people such as Robert and even sometimes Mrs. Ratignolle. Edna was yearning for that passion and infatuation that was missing from her life and it is a captivating story as the reader finds out what is going though her mind and how she deals with these events in her life. She is becoming a more critical thinker, which is definitely the new woman.

2 comments:

  1. I woulf definitely agree that she is trying to fill that void in her life with some sort of companionship or passion, as her marriage is devoid of any. It is interesting to think of her infatuation with Mrs. Ratignolle, especially when the hold hands on the beach. I wasn't sure at first if this was a friendly gesture or rather one of deep affection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. She definitely has a void in her life, and I personally think she wants to be with Robert. After Robert leaves, she becomes so dull, and beings to abandon her duties as a wife and mother. She is unhappy with her life the way it is now, and I agree,she is becoming more of a critical thinker, making herself more independent

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.