Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Country of the Pointed Firs


One theme I noticed thus far in the reading would be a sense of community and the relationships that are present on Dunnet Landing. It appears as though these relationships are what makes the community of Dunnet Landing rather distinct. I think that it is these relationships that will set the tone for the book. I appreciated the relationship between Mrs. Todd and the physician as it really emphasizes what relationships are like in this town. “The village doctor and this learned herbalist were upon the best of terms. The good man may have counted upon the unfavorable effect of certain potions which he should find his opportunity in counteracting; at any rate he now and then stopped and exchanged greetings with Mrs. Todd over the picket fence” (Jewett 4). Also, in the introduction, the characters are described in a very positive light. However, although the community seems close knit, to me it seems as if they to isolate the narrator in a sense, only slowly accepting her through stories and with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.