Monday, January 23, 2012

The ending of the novel "The Awakening" was slightly confusing to me.  Throughout the story I thought that the book was sending a positive message to the women of the time that it was alright for them to express themselves and have their own opinions and not to allow a man to control them.  However, Edna was crushed when Robert left her.  This seems counter-intuitive to the beginning of the story because Edna allowed herself to be "awakened" by Robert, she told him that she loved him and because of this, Edna is again allowing  a man to control her and her emotions.  It seems that Robert is able to control her emotions because, from what I can deduce, Edna kills herself in the end of the novel.  It did not seem that this ending belonged with the beginning and middle of the story. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree the ending of this novel was a bit confusing and as you said it does not go along with the rest of the story. I was a little unclear as if she really killed herself or not I personally did not like the ending of novel because it did not go along with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    I agree with the confusion of the novel. It seemed as if Chopin was trying to send a positive message about woman having their own independence apart from the man, however I felt differently towards the ending of the novel. I feel that Edna killed herself because that was her way of freeing herself from the society that she belonged to. She married her husband and had kids for the wrong reason and I feel that this made her feel trapped. Killing herself was a way for her to remove herself from the life that she did not feel apart of and revive herself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.