This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Not a Love Story After All - The Awakening - Jaclyn Burr
When I first started reading The Awakening, I automatically assumed it would categorize as a love story. My assumptions were confirmed as I began reading the latter parts, all leading up to a reunion with Robert and an ensuing relationship, which seemed as to be the innermost motives for Edna's thoughts and actions. Obviously I understood that there were many other important themes and ideas to the plot and characters, but Edna and Robert seemed to me the most central piece of the novel. Yet, I realized at the very end of the book that it was not about Robert at all, but merely Edna. On page 108, as Edna walks into the sea, it is not because she is heartbroken at never being able to be with Robert. Though his absence undoubtedly is detrimental to her as well, she even admits, "the thought of him would melt out of her existence, leaving her alone" one day. She admits, "to-day it is Arobin; to-morrow it will be some one else. It makes no difference to me" (108). It was never about love and these various men Edna was infatuated with. Rather, her dissatisfaction with life was rooted in herself and her inability to love herself for who she is. None of her relationships seemed truly full and loving because that same love and confidence was lacking in her own self.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. I don't think it matters who the man she becomes infatuated with is, but rather how he can temporarily make her feel some sort of happiness. When she is all alone without a man or her children to occupy her time she seems truly happy, but never content. I think this could somehow show how hard it was for the "new woman" to love herself and have love for her partner harmoniously.
ReplyDeleteI also felt the same way. I felt as though Edna was trying to find satisfaction within these other men but then kept feeling despair when she didn't feel good about herself. As Chelsea said, she seemed happy when she was alone and without her children but she wasn't content, she wanted to be the "new woman" and not be this Victorian woman that always listens to the man, but in a way, she kept longing for that with Robert. The end of the story just goes to show you that if you are not happy with yourself you cannot be happy with someone else.
ReplyDelete