While reading The Awakening, I couldn’t help but to find one
scene very intriguing. At one point Edna admits to never learning how to swim yet
proceeds to explore the sea, finding the inner strength and freedom that she
never came in touch with. As she wandered out into the sea, she quickly became
aware of how far she had gone out, and although she had not gone as far as an “experienced
swimmer” may have, she feels great pride in the distance she made. She does,
however, feel a moment of terror as she becomes quickly aware with her
insecurity of being inexperienced. She overcomes those moments of insecurity
and proceeds back to shore feeling a high from her experience. I personally
believe that the sea called to Edna’s inward and sensual side. “A feeling of
exultation overtook her, as if some power of significant import had been given
her soul. She grew daring and reckless, overestimating her strength. She wanted
to swim far out, where no woman had swum before” (Pg 27). This quote is a brilliant
symbol for the awakening of the New Woman, redefining herself contrary to society.
I love all of the water imagery and symbolism in this book. It's so powerful, I think you have it spot on :)
ReplyDeleteI also loved how the author described the scene, I was able to find out how she achieved her freedom and overcame some problems that she had.
ReplyDelete