Sunday, January 22, 2012

"The Awakening" - Part Two

While my opinion of Edna while reading the first half of the novel was one of admiration and respect, my opinion only continued to deteriorate in reading the final half of The Awakening. Though I first suspected that Edna was a woman trapped in a life she had unknowingly built for herself, fighting desperately to change her circumstances to better the lives of herself, her husband, and her lover, I've come to conclude that she's nothing more than a woman too strongly wrapped up in passions and disillusions. (Ironic, given that at the beginning of the novel this was exactly what she claimed never to want with her life, and with her marriage to Leonce) Though I respected that she wanted to better her life in learning to swim, and in pursuing a career in painting, I found it intolerable that she'd leave her helpless children, selfishly ask not to be held responsible for her actions, and commit suicide despite having an enviable life many would dream of. It was most notably irritable when Edna explained that she simply wanted her own way, even if that meant that she must “trample upon the lives, the hearts, the prejudices of others.” If it was Kate Choplin's idea to create an image of a "new woman" in her characterization of Edna, I'd say she did so in a disappointingly lackluster manner.

2 comments:

  1. My opinions of Edna continuously flip-flopped throughout the entire book. I am still unsure of how I feel about her. I admire her letting herself be free. Yet, I struggle with her lack of voice to the people around her. I did see her have some moments of power and individuality. I just wanted more. I wanted her to explain the WHY as to how she was acting. Overall, I really enjoyed my second reading of the book, but will always struggle with some of Edna's choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the same page as you guys, I really don't know how I feel about Edna. There were some moments that I was impressed with her individuality and boldness to deny her husband and live her life how she pleased. I really liked how she stood up to her husband when he would be short and snappy towards her. But I also felt this sense of foolishness with how she was unable to control her feelings or try to seek a way in which she could manage or cope with her situation. When she's drowning she mentions that the doctor may have been able to understand her, but it was too late. Her passion was out of control and confused herself to the point of death.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.