Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Life in the Iron Mills - Me Young Hong

The word "iron mill' was unfamiliar and I had to find out what the word means on the internet. Throughout the book, I had difficulties in understanding some explanations and quotes, but, I still tried to understand what the narrator tries to depict. As I read the book slowly, I found out that the explanation was so detail that I was able to imagine the scenes. Especially, the very first part of this book describes the outside of the narrator's house and I could imagine the scene clearly. "The air is thick, clammy with the breath of crowded human beings... where a crowd of drunken Irishmen are puffin Lynchburg tobacco in their pipes." (p. 11, Davis) I felt like if I opened my window, I would see the full of drunken men smoking outside surrounded by lots of dirt. Since no one knows whether the narrator was a woman or a man, however, I believe the narrator was a woman. The narrator described each scene with detailed explanation and depicted female’s emotion very clearly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you brought up the narrator, especially since the story isn't actually about her. But she has this omnipresent guardian angel sort of feel to her (I will assume she is a woman as well). She also calls upon the reader's emotion rather frequently, which I believe to be more of an indication that she is a woman as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.