This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Three Dreams in a Desert- Minori Wisti
One thing I liked about this story was how in the first dream, the creature representing woman had to stand up on her own. I think this was alluding to how women have to take hold of their rights, and although equality can be supported and advocated by anyone, women must realize their strength and the fact that they deserve this equality to have it. I also found it interesting that man, if that was the other figure, was bound to woman as she lay there. To me this means that if women are not allowed to advance from their reserved roles in society, this holds back all of humanity as well. The relationship of the genders is also seen in the band that connects the two figures and how it affects woman's rise. At first they are fighting against each other, with the band pulling between them and hurting them, then the man creature explains how one day man will understand woman's struggle and "look into her eyes with sympathy." If I had to relate this to where we are today I think that maybe there is still some pulling going on between the band in general, though not in all cases.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that most of the struggles seen from this reading is still present in women today. The reading had a unique of showing things which women go through each day. I also like and agree with your comment saying if women are not allowed to advance from there own roles it will hole them back. This is very true women need to become aware of many of the things which holds them back from many things.
ReplyDeleteI agree. This story had an interesting perspective because it talked not only about how men oppressed women, but how women had to deal with their own internal struggles. It also showed how oppressing women hurt everybody, not just women. It was very unique.
ReplyDelete