Monday, January 30, 2012

Life in the Iron Mills - Julia Parzyck

As many have been saying this story was very hard for me to comprehend and the biggest question I had overall was whether the narrator was a man or a woman. Most of me believes that the narrator was a woman because her/she is able to describe the characters feelings in such a way that a woman would often explain her feelings. This may be stereotypical of how woman feel but that is how I took it. If the narrator is then a woman I felt as though it meant that the Korl woman kind of represented the narrator. Also when Hugh said the Korl statue was hungry I was wondering hungry for what? After I thought about it a bit more I felt as though the statue was hungry for life, which would then come into the idea of the "new woman" and their hunger for a life of freedom and independence. Even though I had a very hard time understanding this reading the biggest question I had, and still have is what gender the narrator was.

1 comment:

  1. I also agree, I had trouble understanding this reading. I think it is very interesting that you raise the question about what the statue might have been hungry for. When looking at it in terms of the "new woman" it makes sense that she might have been hungry for life. I think that it is interesting to think about because a large focus was put on this sculpture and how her body was positioned in what the narrator described it as there "not one line of beauty or grace in it... muscular, grown coarse with labor." It gives me the image of a very hard working woman who does not care who she appeals to as long as she is working hard for her freedom and her independence then that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.