Monday, January 23, 2012

The Awakening Pt. 2

Several questions are formulating in my mind after reading the remainder of this book. First and foremost did Edna essentially drown herself in the endd of the book because she realized that she will never be happy? Secondly, what did Robert mean by "Goodbye because I love you", or whatever it was that he wrote to her in the note he left. Did he mean that since he loves her so, that he must stop seeing her and let her go because they can really never be together because she is married to Leonce? The way the story unfolds is very interstesting. At first you view Edna as uptight and proper, then she has this awakening while on summer vacation. She begins to not take crap from her husband, she begins to do things only if she wants to, and she starts to form her own ideas and opinions. Then as the story progresses, Edna begins to neglect her husband, her children, and her house. These things alarm Leonce as they should, but the poor bloke doesn't really have any idea what is going on. Edna then starts an affair with Alobin. She does not really refuse his advances and she begins whoring around with him. I started to dislike he character somewhat during this time. And then she confesses her love to robert when he comes back. Holy Crap... girl needs to get her feelings together and tell her husband. I like Edna when she was becoming independent, but once she started neglecting her former life and the people in it, and cheating repeatedly on her husband, I began to dislike her.

3 comments:

  1. I questioned what Robert meant by his note that he left her also. During that part of the reading I did not take his note as a goodbye forever, instead I saw it as a goodbye for the moment. I am not sure how Edna took it but if she only thought it was temporary goodbye she could have been waiting around for him to return if she was not sure. I would also like to know his reasoning for leaving Edna forever, since it was not clearly stated in my eyes. I do think that Robert loved her so I am confused as to why she wouldn't pursue her now that she left her husband...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I questioned what Robert meant by his note that he left her also. During that part of the reading I did not take his note as a goodbye forever, instead I saw it as a goodbye for the moment. I am not sure how Edna took it but if she only thought it was temporary goodbye she could have been waiting around for him to return if she was not sure. I would also like to know his reasoning for leaving Edna forever, since it was not clearly stated in my eyes. I do think that Robert loved her so I am confused as to why she wouldn't pursue her now that she left her husband...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like she shouldn't pursue him. his action had so much cowardice, I HOPE that disillusioned her from him

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.