Sunday, January 29, 2012

Leah Short- Life in the Iron Mills

I find it to be a very interesting thought to compare Deborah to what we think of as the 'new woman.' I don't know if I'm completely sold on that idea, though, because what I take from the 'new woman' is that she is more than just a cater to a man. Deborah would take dinner to Hugh, and sometimes miss out on eating her own dinner. This, to me, doesn't seem like an assertive or independent move to make if one was a 'new woman.' Beauty was something also associated with what we perceive the 'new woman' to be as well, and Deborah didn't seem to be a charming or beautiful sight to see, seeing she had a hunchback. I'm not sure, though, what do you guys think? I also really like the question of whether or not the narrator was a man or a woman, I'm still not too sure on that one myself.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Leah on the idea of comparing Deborah to the idea of the "new woman" and I was not completely sold on this idea either. Like you said, she would take Hugh dinner and in turn miss out on her own and was catering to his needs which to me is not how we talked about the "new woman." With the narrator I was never too sure on whether is was a man or woman either but for some reason I felt that the narrator was supposed to embody the Korl woman which is what I read in many reviews. Maybe "she" was supposed to continue on with Hugh's existence? I don't know, that is most likely a far fetched idea.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.