This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Life in the Iron Mills- Chelsea Estes
Is the narrator in the book, Life In the Iron Mills, a man or a woman? Part of me thinks that the voice is a man, but most of me thinks it is that of a woman. The narrator is able to describe with much depth and emotion, the despair, hopelessness, and destruction of the human spirit in regards to the characters. This deep understanding seems like something a woman would voice and put into words, more than a man. The narrator even describes Hugh in a very feminine way. Words such as, "lost the strength," and "his muscles were thin, his nerves weak, his face (a meek, woman's face)" are used. On the other hand, the narrator seems educated, which most women were not at that time, and tries to remain somewhat aloof in describing the characters in the Iron Mills. Though this story was a bit challenging to understand, who do you think the narrator could be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you Chelsea I believe that the narrator is a female because of her feminine manner. However, much like you stated about the narrator sounds educated which points to a male figure because women often during this time period were not educated. This educated female narrator could represent the "new women". This "new women" interpretation will help the reader to understand the narrators tone.
ReplyDeleteI also could read the narrator as being Deborah. When Deborah gets out of jailed she could have return to the house where she once lived with Hugh. I think that Deborah could be the narrator because in the story she begins by telling the readers not to judge. Deborah had feelings for Hugh which could explain the understanding and interpretation of Hugh in the story. The last thing that makes me think of Deborah as the narrator is that the narrator possesses the korl statue.
I am having trouble with the male/female narrator aspect of the story too. After reading this post, it has definitely helped me begin to think further into the character of the narrator. I think it is really interesting how those specific quotes have brought you to think the narrator could be a woman. I definitely agree after reading your post that the narrator seems to be a female.
ReplyDeleteWhile I was reading Life in the Iron Mills, I also struggled with the narrator. I could not figure out if it was a woman or man telling the story. After reading your post, I can definitely see how the narrator can be seen as educated. I also agree with Melissa because if the narrator is in fact a woman then this could be a representation of the rise of the new women. I never really thought of Deborah as being the narrator though, I don't feel as if she would describe herself the way that the narrator did. I understand that the description of Deb is important because it portrays the working woman however I don't feel as is the narrator would have been so honest, had it been about herself.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the narrator is also a woman. From the get-go I can really feel the passion and pain in the voice of whoever is telling the story. This pain and distress and the dark descriptions of the scenery point me in the direction of the narrator being a woman and someone who can relate with the story that they are telling. I also like the idea of the narrator being a woman and representing the 'new woman' because she has a voice and can relay her thoughts as something of value, which was something the 'new woman' aimed towards.
ReplyDeleteI also feel that the narrator was a woman. She depicts female's emotions and describes things in a female way. Although I had difficulties in understanding the book, I could feel that the narrator was a woman by the words that he/she used.
ReplyDelete