Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three Dreams in a Desert

What I liked about "Three Dreams in a Desert" was the fact that the author did not only put emphasis on the way men dominated women in earlier societies. It was still there, especially in the first dream when the male creature pulling at the female creature and causing her pain while she tried to get up, but it was not at the forefront. Instead, the dreams were about the strength of women and how they overcame the adversity they faced by their own power, not because society let up on them. I especially liked this line: "'They make a track to the water's edge-' And she said, 'Over that bridge which shall be built with our bodies, who will pass?' He said, 'The entire human race.' And the woman grasped her staff. And I saw her turn down that dark path to the river." (pg. 315) This story spoke to the great inner strength of the women who fought for equal rights first, laying down the ground work for the movements that followed.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post because I had the same feelings about the portrayal of women's strength. During the first dream when the author described how the man was bringing pain to the woman when he moved and how his posture was significantly more dominant than hers shows how men did dominate over women during that time. However, when she went to the bridge I really enojyed seeing the woman fight for her rights and pursue her goal of getting over the bridge which signified her fight for women's rights. The depth of the dreams had a large affect showing the inner strength of women fighting to gain their deserved rights.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.